
There's no excuse this time. I just haven't written. Call it uninspired, call it lazy, it all applies.
Speaking of lazy; can we talk for a minute about the bagged salad/lettuce/spinach craze? First of all, there's this article about a recent recall of bagged lettuce because our good friend E.coli strikes again.
The article sort of cracks me up because it's all about the danger and risks of vegetables. Um, and we wonder why Americans are fat. 'Don't eat the healthy things, they'll make you sick!'
How does lettuce (or spinach, or tomatoes, or what-have-you vegetable) get E.coli if the bacteria is bred in the intestines of animals? Well my friends, there are vegetable farms next to animal farms and sometimes the planning is a little shoddy and the animal farm drains into the vegetable farm (or its water supply). Yum!
Back to the bagged lettuce.
Have we gotten so lazy that we seriously can't take 5 minutes to wash and cut our own lettuce? Are you busy saving the world? Will you solve child hunger with those extra 5 minutes? Yes, I'm being a little dramatic, but you get my point. It's 5 minutes
Time aside; do you know how much more expensive it is for the bagged stuff? Head of lettuce: 79 cents. Bag of lettuce: 3 bucks. And the bag is not even a full head.
Yes, I have some strong opinions about bagged lettuce (and yes, I've also purchased it because I totally NEEDED those extra 5 minutes to play Plants v. Zombies), but really the emotion is being driven by the systemic laziness underlying many of the food problems of today.
Bagged lettuce=lazy
Have we gotten so lazy that we seriously can't take 5 minutes to wash and cut our own lettuce? Are you busy saving the world? Will you solve child hunger with those extra 5 minutes? Yes, I'm being a little dramatic, but you get my point. It's 5 minutes
Time aside; do you know how much more expensive it is for the bagged stuff? Head of lettuce: 79 cents. Bag of lettuce: 3 bucks. And the bag is not even a full head.
Yes, I have some strong opinions about bagged lettuce (and yes, I've also purchased it because I totally NEEDED those extra 5 minutes to play Plants v. Zombies), but really the emotion is being driven by the systemic laziness underlying many of the food problems of today.
Bagged lettuce=lazy
Fast food=lazy
Pre-packaged heat up meals=lazy
"Food" from a box=lazy
Chicken nuggets from the frozen food section=lazy
Now, at some point in my (recent) life I've been guilty of all of the above (in fact I dreamt about Taco Bell last night. How sick it that?), but how about we make a little pact to quit being so lazy and start caring about our food and making sure we are making healthy decisions.
Even if it means less time to play Plants v. Zombies.
Now, at some point in my (recent) life I've been guilty of all of the above (in fact I dreamt about Taco Bell last night. How sick it that?), but how about we make a little pact to quit being so lazy and start caring about our food and making sure we are making healthy decisions.
Even if it means less time to play Plants v. Zombies.

No comments:
Post a Comment