Saturday, May 22, 2010

Awareness: Your Most Important Tool

Investing. Mortgage payments. Garbage pick-up schedules. Local politics. Things not on your radar when you're younger, but as you get older becomes more and more important to pay attention to (incidentally, you don't need to pay any attention to ending sentences with prepositions).

From my local news today: Fees, Permits Surprise Farmers' Markets

It's more than a little disgusting and truly disheartening to know my local farmers' markets are being jeopardized due to some regulation crazy individuals.

The whole thing stinks to high heaven.

The moral? We need to be aware of what is going on in our own communities. Sometimes your local politicians are not looking out for your well-being (you can put on your shocked face; I'll wait for it). The underlying story to this is some local businesses are putting the pressure on farmers' markets because it is a massively growing trend in communities.

Know what's going on in your neighborhood and support your cause. Support the farmers. Give them an extra buck for that deliciously super-ripe tomato you're not going to get anywhere else.

OK, I'm done. My next post will be much brighter and full of ponies and sunshine. It'll also surprise the heck out of you when I tell you it's OK to get your fish from California or your pineapples from Hawaii. I can hardly believe it myself.

1 comment:

Pontificator said...

Keep preaching local government involvement! You may find my free ebook a good read. It is titled "Why Your City Council Makes Dumb Decisions and What You Can Do About It." It can be found at WWW.AcademyOfLocalPolitics.Com.

(I really don't have to pay attention to ending my sentences with prepositions?)