Wednesday, March 10, 2010

And We're Back

I know.

I start more blog posts by saying "so sorry I haven't written...blah, blah, blah...promise to be better...blah, blah, blah..." and so on. Michael and I have been traveling and now we're finally settling back into home life. So we really will get back on the horse here.

Eating local and sustainable these days is becoming second nature and, dare I say it, pretty easy. We have our locally sourced restaurants down, the CSA is our main source of groceries and pretty soon the farmers' markets will be back in business. So now what?

Well, seeing how food is just one aspect of the whole sustainability gig, a friend and I went and saw the movie "No Impact Man (based on this blog)." Lucky for you guys, this didn't have as much of a 'I need to change my entire life right now' impact on me, BUT, it definitely makes you a ton more aware of all the waste in our lives.

In this vein, Michael and I want to share three simple changes we made. Minor changes that can make a huge impact on the environment.
  1. No more plastic containers
    For the most part, we now buy products in glass or biodegradable containers (fairly simple once you join a CSA). If it's a plastic container, it has to be reusable (like the bulk spices we buy also double as Tupperware when they're empty). I know what you're thinking...plastic is recyclable, chill out Jen. Technically, yes. However, plastic can only be recycled so many times before it is no longer usable and then it goes to a landfill where it can never break down.
  2. No more plastic bags
    This is sort of a no-brainer. We already use the recyclable grocery bags, but we were focused on lunch bags. Happily they sell wax paper bags at Whole Foods and these cute buggers online.
  3. No more bottled water
    Again, no-brainer. Since when was buying water for $2.00 acceptable anyway? We now have our knock-off SIGG water bottles and are saving money and reducing how much trash we make.

Upcoming posts (I promise):

  1. Following the nose-to-tail trend (if you're squeamish, you may not want to click that link): what to do with a whole chicken (inside and out) when you have one (My CSA is about to have some pastured poultry and I couldn't be more excited)--other animals to follow
  2. How to get your furry friends on a local, sustainable diet too!
  3. Eating out at a restaurant: what to order if the menu isn't explicit on sourcing
  4. The wonders of making your own bread products: is it worth it? How much time does it take?
  5. New sister blog launching! Sunday Dinner with the Dezsos.
    Reminding everyone about the importance of sharing a home-cooked meal with friends and family. A weekly video blog (yikes!) of a full Sunday dinner with recipes, tips and stories. More to come as we get closer to launching.

We're glad to be back in the saddle here. As always, feel free to send us your questions and we're happy to answer or research what we can (still working on the last request about everyone's local CSAs).

Also, let us know what you're finding helpful...do you want more recipes, more facts, more resources...

No comments: