Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Dinner Party

Our recent experiment in finding the "right" food to eat has reawakened my inner cook. These past few months have been pure glee in the kitchen. It started with finding recipes focused around seasonality and freshness. Then it evolved into keeping the recipes interesting enough for Michael to actually eat vegetables. Now we're in the newest stage: making delectable, irresistible meals to coax all our friends over to the "dark side."

This past Friday night we had the first of what I plan on making an official series of dinner parties: A local, sustainable, organic tasting menu dinner.

The themes and constraints are simple: every ingredient (save salt and pepper) must fall into one of the three categories above. The ultimate goal will be to have every ingredient in each category, but we're a work in progress.

Personally, I like the tasting menu approach: smaller plates and more courses. This gives me lots of play time in the kitchen and the opportunity to experiment with tons of ingredients and recipes. Besides, I find it personally easier to fail on one small dish and serve another than to botch up a large recipe and watch the guests soldier on through a meal.

Without further ado: The Menu (with links to the recipes and notes on the ingredients)

Course I: A Sampling of Local Cheeses from Sweet Grass Dairy

Course II: White Bean and Rosemary Soup with a Parmesan Crisp

Course III: Grilled Sea Scallops Served on an Onion-Fennel Confit with an Orange Reduction

Course IV: Pan-Seared Filet Mignon on a Bed of Roasted, Glazed Root Vegetables with a Red-Wine Reduction

Course V: Homemade Parisian Gnocchi with Freshly Made Tomato Sauce

Course VI: Homemade Chocolate Mole Ice Cream (if you want this recipe let me know and I'll get on it...frankly I'm pooped from writing up the other recipes.)





Have recipe ideas or want an invite...just let me know!

Have a great holiday all. We're leaving town tomorrow, but I promise for lots of new posts in the New Year.

No comments: