So we've been trying to catch up on life after all of our delays.
I did get a frantic e-mail from a friend this week which made me realize I've neglected this site: "With all your knowledge of healthy and sustainable eating, what kind of lunch meats do you buy; or not? I'm having trouble creating sandwiches. I'd ask this on your blog, but you suck and don't update."
OK, I added the last sentence for dramatic effect.
Lunch is, by far, the hardest meal to account for in our new "diet."
First things first: lunch meats. The answer is, pretty much we don't eat them anymore. And it's a bummer. There is nothing like a good deli-sliced turkey sandwich with spicy mustard and all the fixings and...you get the point. After a few weeks of struggling with lunches, I broke down and bought Whole Foods' organic sliced turkey and chicken lunch meat.
Hardly sustainable, not cost-effective (at all!) and quite frankly it's pre-packaged lunch meat (read: slimy). I bought it once and will likely not do so again. So what do we do for lunch?
We just skip it and watch the hours go by until dinner.
Lunch presents some interesting challenges. Salads are cumbersome and wilt. Any seafood is out because no one wants to be the person who stinks up the whole office and never gets invited out to another happy hour again. But all hope is not gone. Below are some of our tried (and true) go-to lunches:
- Chili
- Pretty much, any rice-based dish (rice and beans, veggie risotto, this spectacular rice dish I make when we have pork chops)
- Meatloaf sandwich or just a slab of meatloaf (my personal favorite)
- Peanut butter and jelly sandwich
- Mozzarella Caprese sandwich
- Veggie wraps
I'm also actually considering buying a roast (and when I find one a pasture-raised turkey) and making home-made sandwiches. I'll let you know how it goes. But here's the audience participation part...what do you do for lunch? Even if it's not sustainable/etc. it can lead to ideas. I'm a little desperate here.

1 comment:
In a word, leftovers. We always make plenty of extra food at dinner or on the weekends. And assuming we don't hoark it all we have it for lunch (weird, but the less appealing the meal, the more often we have it for lunch).
So here's some of what we've been eating lately (admitting I haven't seen the movie yet so feel free to school me in what's taboo):
* Pesto turkey burgers
* Buffalo chicken fingers - baked(though that, of course, requires you to drive 3 hours for chicken)
* Salmon burgers (you can make homemade)
* Tongol tuna (if this is OK...)
* Rotisserie chicken (as salad or on salad)
* Egg salad
And yes, we love meatloaf too!
Post a Comment