After rereading ALL four posts,
Well, this is more painful than those times. Your blog...it's a mess."
The whole point of the blog was to share the way we are changing our approach to eating, buying and thinking about food. A point which clearly got lost in our excitement of sharing a new philosophy. We got stuck on the why and forgot the how. Instead of information overload, we want to share clear, concise ways you can eat better, make more informed choices and have an impact on the world around you...all by how you eat; something you do anyway!
For example, here's a new tasty post for you to savor:
The Farmer's Market: Great Expectations, Lost in Translation and Making it Work
Last week it was time to put my new fascination with becoming a locavore to the test. As much as I love Whole Foods (and do I!), the time-suck of finding the local, organic produce was tedious. At the farmer's market I knew my choices would be more limited, but everything offered was on the "approved" list. For my fellow Atlantans, I was headed to the EAV Farmer's Market.
Thursday evening, I packed up my reusable grocery bags, grabbed some cash and headed off with the highest of hopes. Let me start by saying, the farmer's market is fabulous. However, I had let my imagination get WAY ahead of me. My visions of running through tent after tent of produce, cheeses, meats and bread like Maria twirling and singing about hills alive with the sound of music was quickly rerouted when I walked up to 7 small tables.
Seasonality, which has become non-existent in grocery stores, is the driving force behind the farmer's market. It's basic Food 101 which I have come to take for granted. My goal of food shopping for the week solely at a farmer's market was not to be. But here's what did pass:
$53 spent in total:
2 bags organic, home-baked dog treats ($8/bag)
2 local, artisan cheeses ($20...the most expensive items, but DELICIOUS)
1 dozen eggs ($6...eek! But totally worth it.)
1 French loaf and a blueberry muffin ( $6...I think. I didn't write it down)
3 tomatoes, 2 ears of corn, 1 English cucumber ($5...produce the clear bargain)
Basically, I need to get a lot better at shopping at the farmer's market. To be fair though, the eggs, dog treats and cheeses will last at least two weeks.
The big winner of the bunch: TOMATOES!!!!
If you take nothing else away from the blog, know this: nothing will ever beat a locally grown, organic tomato allowed to vine-ripen. Tomatoes in the store are merely shadows of their fresh counterparts.
Farmer's Market Recipe of the Week: Fresh Mozzarella Caprese Sandwiches

1 comment:
Wow! You guys are truly going through with this. I'm so impressed with your level of commitment, and so glad to hear the diet is having positive effects. But are the $8 organic doggy treats really necessary?
So seriously... When are we going to Papasito's?
Post a Comment